Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Homemade Bagels


You think it's hard to make the best bagels in the world?? NOPE!! In fact, it's quite easy!! I had received a book from my mother years ago that was put out by Taste of Home and it is called "Country Breads". While I was looking through it, I noticed a recipe for homemade bagels. I guess I was feeling adventurous that night so I thought I would try it - oh wow were they good!! I started out making plain and then I added some add in's to it and they were AWESOME!!!


The basic recipe for the plain ones is as follows:


1 tsp active dry yeast

1 1/4 c. warm milk (110 - 115 degrees)

1/4 c. butter or margarine, softened

2 tbsp sugar

1 tsp salt

1 egg yolk

3 3/4 - 4 1/4 c. all purpose flour


In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the butter, sugar, salt, and egg yolk; mix well. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Shape into 12 balls. Push thumb through centers to form a 1" hole. Place on a floured surface. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes; flatten. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Drop bagels, one at a timme into the boiling water. When bagels float to the surface, remove witih a slotted spoon and place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.


ADD IN POSSIBILITIES:

1 tsp cinnamon and 1 c. raisins - knead into the dough.


1/2 c. quick oats, 1 c. craisins (dried cranberries) and top the bagels after boiling with a mixture of brown sugar and cinnamon then bake them

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

robin and megan you are adventurous!! the bagels look sooo good!! i'm gonna try these!!