Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Beer Bread


There is NOTHING like this bread with a nice spinach dip. The original recipe was from a friend of my mother's 30+ years ago. It had called for self rising flour. I as a rule do not buy that flour so I was not making it all that much. My mother had found a way around using the self rising flour and substituting some additional ingredients for it. I tastes just as good as the original recipe. I always use a regular beer instead of lite beer as it will alter the taste. I also make it in the mini loaf pans so that it is smaller and you are able to cut it a little easier. My suggestion is to make it and cut it when it is completely cool as it does slice better.


3 c. all purpose flour

4 1/2 tsp baking powder

1 1/2 tsp salt

1/4 c. sugar

12 ounces (1 1/2 c.) beer. Do not use lite beer - it does not taste the same.


Mix all ingredients together and bake for about 45 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Take out and brush with butter. It is EXCELLENT!!! I got 3 mini loaves out of it. The recipe will make 1 large loaf but you will need to cook it for an hour.


No comments: